Yorkshire Museum, in the Museum Gardens
The Yorkshire Museum is a museum in York, England. It is the home
of the Cawood sword, and has four permanent collections, covering
biology, geology, archaeology and astronomy. It underwent a major
refurbishment in 2010, with major
structural changes and a re-development of all existing galleries.
The Museum was founded by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society to
accommodate their geological and archaeological collections, and was
originally housed in Ousegate, York until the site became too small.
In 1828 the society received by royal grant, ten acres of
land formerly belonging to St Mary’s Abbey in order to build a new
museum. The main building of the museum is called the Yorkshire Museum
and was designed by William Wilkins in a Greek Revival style. A
condition of the royal grant was that the land surrounding the Museum
building should be a botanic gardens; this was done in the 1830s, and
they are now known as the Museum Gardens. On 26 September 1831 the
inaugural meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of
Science was held at the Yorkshire Museum.
May 2011, Photo 367