Church of Our Lady of Grace
Built in 1609 - 1626 to the design of 1598 by Jan Frankiewicz,
an architect from Vilnius. After the Jesuit convent was annulled (in
1773), the building had several users. At the beginning of the 19th
century, for example, it accommodated the wool warehouse of the Polish
Bank (Bank Polski). In 1918, however, the building returned to the
Jesuits. Destroyed in 1944, rebuilt in 1948 - 1957 by Stanislaw
Marzynski, on the grounds of existing records from 1939. The sculpture
of the bear was made by Jan Jerzy Plersch, dating back to 1762-1764,
and comes from the facade of the Piarist church on Dluga Street.
Photo 105, May 2007