St. George's Basilica (Bazilika sv. Jirí) & the Convent of St.
George (Kláster sv. Jirí)
St. George's Basilica is the oldest church building within the
Prague Castle complex. It is also the best-preserved Romanesque church in
Prague.
St. George's Basilica was founded by Prince Vratislav (915-921). The
basilica was then enlarged in 973 with the building of St. George's
Benedictine Convent.
In 1142 it was rebuilt following a major fire, however the Baroque
facade that we see today dates from 1671-1691. The altar painting and
frescos in the dome are the work of V.V. Reiner.
In the Gothic Chapel of St. Ludmila lies the tomb of the famous saint,
widow of the 9th century ruler Prince Borivoj. Also buried in the basilica
are Prince Vratislav and Boleslav II.
Benedictine nuns founded the convent in A.D. 973. In 1967, the convent's
premises were acquired by the National Gallery, which now uses the
buildings to warehouse and display its collection of Bohemian art from
Gothic to baroque periods.
Photo 536, Sept 2008