Christ Church Cathedral, Anglican
Christ Church Cathedral is the Anglican cathedral in
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The church is located in the
northwest section of the city's downtown at the western end
of Sparks Street at the top of a promontory looking down to
the Ottawa River.
The Old Church
Though formally established in 1832, it was not until
1833 that the congregation was formally organized. The site
was donated by Nicholas Sparks in 1832. The first service in
Christ Church Bytown took place on July 21, 1833. Due to
decreased givings and pledges over the next two years, the
parishioners found themselves seated on temporary rough
planks for pews, and the walls and ceiling were not
completed for a number of years. The Church had to be closed
during the winter as two stoves were needed for sufficient
heating, but only one was available. In spite of appeals, no
funds were made available, and it was not until 1835 that
the church finally owned its own property. By 1841, due to
rapid growth in the population of Bytown, it was recognized
that the church was not adequate in providing for the needs
of the growing congregation. A proposed enlargement plan was
drawn up, and Nicholas Sparks gave the additional land
required for the enlargement. On July 12, 1841, the
cornerstone was laid. Subscriptions were received from far
and wide, and the enlargements were fully completed by
October 1843. The church was consecrated and given its name
- Christ's Church.
The New Church
In January 1872, after many Vestry and committee
meetings, it was decided that a new church be constructed on
the site of the old church. The last service in the old
church was held on March 3, 1872, and demolition and
reconstruction started immediately. The King McCord Arnoldi
(architect) designed the new Christ Church Cathedral in an
English Gothic style on the bluffs on Sparks Street near Bay
Street, 1872-73. The cornerstone was laid July 3, 1872
with a timecapsule containing monetary denominations and
other artifacts. The building was formally opened September
29, 1873 and the first service took place at 11:00 am that
day.
Photo 87, May 2012