Portsmouth Harbor (Wood Island) Life-Saving Station (1908)
The Wood Island Station was erected in 1908 on Wood Island in
Kittery Point, Maine. It replaced an existing 1888 station, the
Jerry’s Point Station, across the river in New Castle, New Hampshire.
The building is a modified Duluth-type station, designed by architect
George R. Tolman and built by Sudgen Brothers of Portsmouth, NH. It
remained active until 1948, when it was replaced by a new station,
back again in New Castle, called Station Portsmouth Harbor.
Its life saving duties ended in 1941 when, during the Second
World War, it served to protect Portsmouth Harbor and its submarine
manufacturing base from Nazi submarines. Wood Island Station was
occupied by the US Navy and was part of an extensive network of harbor
defenses that included mines, sonar and a massive metal mesh netting
that extended from both shores of the Piscataqua River to Wood Island
and closed the entire entrance from the river’s surface to its bottom.
Photo 55, July 2010