Barns Ness Lighthouse near Dunbar, Scotland.
Barns Ness Lighthouse is located 5 km from Dunbar and was constructed by
engineer David A. Stevenson between 1899-1901. Taking approximately 2.5
years to construct, it was illuminated in October 1901 and was constructed
from stone quarried from Craigree (near Cramond) and Barnton.
The stone proved resilient during the second world war, where the
lighthouse was machine-gunned, yet sustained no damage.
The lighthouse had been manned by two lighthouse-keepers; however, in 1966
it was electrified, with a backup generator and emergency battery (used if
the generator failed). It remained semi-automated, requiring only a single
keeper, until 1986, when it was completely automated.
It was deactivated in October, 2005.
Photo 880, May 2010