lightship Columbiais a lightship located in Astoria, Oregon,
United States of America. Columbia was formerly moored near the mouth of
the Columbia River.
Commissioned in 1951, Columbia was the fourth and final lightship
stationed at the mouth of the Columbia River. Built by Rice Brothers
Shipyard in Boothbay, Maine, Columbia was launched with her sister-ship,
Relief (WLV-605). The new WLV-604 replaced the aging Columbia vessel No.
90, which had been in service on the Columbia River since 1939. The
Columbia River lightships guided vessels across the Columbia River Bar and
an area known as the Graveyard of the Pacific from 1892 until 1979.
Columbia was the final lightship to be decommissioned on the U.S. West
coast. She was replaced by an automated navigational buoy soon after. The
buoy has since been retired.
Now located at the Columbia River Maritime Museum, alongside the
navigational buoy that replaced her in 1979.
Photo 401, Sept 2006