Cape Elizabeth Lights
Cape Elizabeth Light also known as Two Lights is a pair of lighthouses in Cape
Elizabeth, Maine. Only the eastern tower of the two that made up the light
station until 1924 is active. The western tower is deactivated, but it is still
standing and is privately owned. The facility is adjacent to Two Lights State
Park, a 41 acre state facility which allows a view of and access to
the grounds of the lighthouse. Until recently, the light used a second-order
The area is known as "Two Lights" due to the history of the station. It was
originally built in 1828 as two rubblestone towers 300 yards apart.
Steam-driven warning whistles were installed in the twin towers in 1869, the
first used in North America. In 1874, both structures were replaced by conical
towers made of cast-iron, each 67 feet high and 129 feet above sea
level. Despite its twin beacons, Cape Elizabeth witnessed many shipwrecks.
The use of multiple lights in a given site was discontinued in 1924. The
western light was removed from service, and eventually sold to a private party
in the 1970s. The eastern tower remains in service as "Cape Elizabeth Light."