York Theatre Royal
The York Theatre Royal was built in 1744 on, and among, the site
of the medieval St. Leonard’s Hospital. Parts of the old hospital can
still be seen in the modern building, including archways and walls.
Under the stage lies a well, which is believed to be dated from the
Roman era of York's history. The 1744 theatre replaced a theatre in
Minster Yard, built by Thomas Keregan, with the encouragement of the
City Corporation, in 1734. Twenty five years after its construction,
in 1769, Tate Wilkinson paid £500 for a Royal Patent, and,
accordingly, it was renamed the Theatre Royal.
Photo 753, May 2011
|
|
|