Worcester County Courthouse
(1843, 1878, 1898 and 1954).
The south wing is its oldest section, dating from 1843. A Greek
revival section was added in 1878. The present Classical Revival
structure was built in 1898 and designed by Andrews, Jacques, and
Rantoul to incorporate the earlier structures. Their design removed
the Courthouse's portico, constructed the present Main Street facade
and added the copper cresting throughout. At present, the expansion of
1898-99 remains in original condition. A major addition built in 1954
across the rear of the Courthouse gave it ample frontage on Harvard
Street. Architects for this were Stuart W. Briggs and Cornelius W.
Buckley. This site has served as the seat of Worcester County
government since the county's formation in 1731-33.
Photo 50, March 2011