Stirling Castle |
Stirling Scotland Building Photos
Thumbnails
Buildings Home
|
|
Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle, located in Stirling, is one of the largest and
most important castles, both historically and architecturally, in
Scotland. The castle sits atop Castle Hill, an intrusive crag, which
forms part of the Stirling Sill geological formation. It is surrounded
on three sides by steep cliffs, giving it a strong defensive position.
Its strategic location, guarding what was, until the 1930s, the
farthest downstream crossing of the River Forth, has made it an
important fortification from the earliest times. Most of the principal
buildings of the castle date from the fifteenth and sixteenth
centuries. A few structures of the fourteenth century remain, while
the outer defenses fronting the town date from the early eighteenth
century. Several Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at
Stirling, including Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1543. There have been at
least eight sieges of Stirling Castle, including several during the
Wars of Scottish Independence, with the last being in 1746, when
Bonnie Prince Charlie unsuccessfully tried to take the castle.
Photo 1379, May 2011
|
|
|
|
Gatehouse of Stirling Castle
The gatehouse of Stirling Castle providing entry from the outer
defences to the castle proper was erected by King James IV, and was
probably completed around 1506. It originally formed part of a
Forework, extending as a curtain wall across the whole width of Castle
Hill. At the centre is the gatehouse itself, which now stands to less
than half its original height. The round towers at the outer corners
rose to conical roofs, with battlements carried around the tops of the
towers. These were flanked by more round towers, of which only traces
now remain, and mirrored by further rounds at the rear of the
gatehouse. The overall design, as drawn by John Slezer in 1693, shows
French influence, and has parallels with the forework erected at
Linlithgow Palace. Like the Linlithgow structure, the Forework was
probably intended more for show, evoking the "age of chivalry", than
for defence, as it would have offered little protection against
contemporary artillery.
Photo 1348, May 2011
|
|
|
|
Great Hall of Stirling Castle
On the east side of the Inner Close is the Great Hall, or
Parliament Hall. This was built by James IV following on from the
completion of the King's Old Building in 1497, and was being plastered
by 1503. Described as "the grandest secular building erected in
Scotland in the late Middle Ages", it represents the first example of
Renaissance-influenced royal architecture in that country. It was
worked on by a number of English craftsmen, and incorporates some
English design ideas, being comparable to Edward IV's hall at Eltham
Palace, built in the late 1470s. It includes Renaissance details, such
as the intersecting tracery on the windows, within a conventional
medieval plan. Inside are five fireplaces, and large side windows
lighting the dais end, where the king would be seated. It is 138 by
46.75 ft across, making it the largest such hall in Scotland.
Plaque on Great Hall: 'c. 1503. The largest great hall built in
medieval Scotland. It was used for great occasions of state before
being turned into a barracks in the 1790's. Following a lengthy
restoration programme, it was reopened by Queen Elizabeth in 1999.'
Photo 1346, May 2011
|
|
|
|
Part of Great Hall, Stirling Castle
Photo 1350, May 2011
|
|
|
|
Great Hall of Stirling Castle on the right and
Chapel Royal on the left
The Chapel Royal, the collegiate chapel established by James IV
in 1501 lay between the King's Old Building and the Great Hall, but
was further south than the present building. This was the chapel in
which Queen Mary was crowned in 1543. However, when James VI's first
son, Prince Henry was born in 1594, it was decided to rebuild the
chapel as a suitable venue for the royal christening. The new building
was erected within a year, and was moved north to improve access to
the hall. The building, with its Italianate arched windows, was the
work of the Royal Master of Works William Schaw.
Photo 1354, May 2011
|
|
|
|