Old City Hall
Old City Hall, known formerly as City Hall, is the former city hall of Richmond, Virginia that was designed by Elijah E. Myers. It served as City Hall from its completion in 1894 through the 1970s. The building occupies its own city block in downtown Richmond, bounded by 10th and 11th Streets to the west and east, and Capitol Street and East Broad Street to the south. The building is executed in a meticulous Gothic Revival style.
While the overall composition of the building is generally
symmetrical, the 195 ft clock tower on the left side of the principal
facade gives an impression of asymmetry. The four main levels are
executed in gray granite. The interior centers around a large skylit
atrium surrounded by four levels of cloister-like arcades, linked by a
grad staircase. The building housed city offices and courts. Granite
was locally obtained from quarries along the James River near
Petersburg, and was shaped by workers under the direction of
subcontractor James Netherwood. Iron work was by Asa Snyder.
Photo 190, May 2013