In the southwestern corner of Capitol Square, at the intersection
of Ninth and Franklin Streets, the red brick Bell Tower has stood
since 1824. It was once used for a guard house and the bell warned of
fires. During the Civil War, the bell sounded when Federal troops
approached the city. More recently, it was an office for Lt. Gov.
Charles S. Robb (1978-82), and the Capitol Square Preservation
Council. It now serves as a Visitor Center for Virginia Tourism.
Photo 177, May 2013