St. John's Gate (Porte St. Jean)
St. John's Gate, aka Porte Saint Jean, city walls
Québec City Gates (1694-Present) — A series of gates established
through the walled defenses of the old Québec City. Under French rule
three gates were established, the Saint Louis Gate, the Palais Gate
and the Saint Jean Gate. Under British rule the original gates were
expanded, some renamed and additional gates built and some destroyed.
Five gates remain.
Porte St. Jean: dates back to at least 1694, was demolished in
1791 because of its poor condition and rebuilt. This gate lasted until
1865 when it was demolished and rebuilt again. The present gate was
built in 1939.
Photo 055, June 2014