Hôtel de ville de Québec
The City Hall of Québec City (French: Hôtel de ville de Québec)
is located in the heart of Old Québec in Québec City, Québec. It was
inaugurated on September 15, 1896. The building slopes downward as it
was built on a hill and was once home to the Jesuit College (Jesuit
Barracks) from the 1730s to 1878.
The city hall was designated a National Historic Site of Canada
in 1984. The building is also located within the "Arrondissement
historique du Vieux-Québec" (Historic District of Old Québec), a
district that was designated under provincial heritage legislation in
1963 and listed as a World Heritage Site in 1985.
Located on rue des Jardins and designed by architect
Georges-Émile Tanguay (1858-1923), it is the second permanent city
hall for the old city. From 1842 to 1896 City Hall sat at home of
British Army Major General William Dunn, son of former administrator
Thomas Dunn (lieutenant-governor), at rue Saint-Louis and rue
Sainte-Ursule. Prior to 1842 the city government sat a various sites.
The formal city council was established in 1833.
The building used a mixture of Classical, Medieval and
Châteauesque elements.
Photo 290, June 2014