Powder Tower
The Gothic Powder Tower in the Old Town used to be a gate to
Prague in the middle ages. It was built in a ditch around the town´s
ramparts, about 9 metres below the present ground. The future kings of
Bohemia used to enter the town through this gate when they were on
their coronation parade. This parade went on the traditional Royal Way
to the Prague Castle, where the coronation took place. Together with
the Old Town Bridge Tower, the Powder Tower is the only existing part
of the former Prague Old Town fortification.
The foundation-stone of the Powder Tower was laid down in 1475.
When the Royal family moved from the Royal Court in the Old Town back
to the Prague Castle in 1488, the Powder Tower was left unfinished.
Some building work was done in 1592, when the new spiral staircase was
built.
The Powder Tower bears its name because of the gunpowder that
used to be stored there in the 18th century. The tower was damaged by
the Prussian army in 1757. Many sculptures were damaged and later
removed.
The Powder Tower was restored and completed in the pseudo-Gothic
style between 1875 and 1886 by the architect Josef Mocker. There are
many decorations on the tower. The first floor is adorned with statues
of Bohemian kings: you can see statues of George of Podebrady and
Vladislav II. from the Celetna street and Premysl Otakar II. and
Charles IV. from the other side. They are surrounded by symbols of
countries, over which they reigned. At the level of the second floor,
there are statues of Bohemian patrons and saints.
Photo 662, Sept 2008