Maisel Synagogue, part of Jewish Museum
The Maisel Synagogue was built in 1590 - 1592 by the Mayor of the
Jewish Town, Mordechai Maisel, who funded the extensive Renaissance
reconstruction of the ghetto. The builders of this synagogue were Josef
Wahl and Juda Goldsmied de Herz. The original building was seriously
damaged by fire in 1689 and was then renovated in the Baroque style. In the
end, it was considerably rebuilt to a pseudo-Gothic design by Prof. A Grott
in 1893-1905. All that remained intact of the original Renaissance layout
was the groundplan of the tripartite central hall with the upper-storey
women´s section. The Maisel Synagogue is currently used by the Jewish
Museum as an exhibition venue and depository.
Photo 847, Sept 2008