Unitarian-Universalist Church of Portsmouth
aka South Church
292 State Street
Church street side
South Church’s current building, the Stone Church, as it was called when it was
built 1824-26, was probably designed by Jonathan Folsom, a joiner originally
from Exeter who is credited with many brick landmarks built in Portsmouth after
the 1813 fire. South Church has been erroneously attributed to Alexander Parris
who introduced the Greek Revival into New England first at Boston’s St. John’s
Church in 1819. It is believed that Parris destined his 1828 Congregational
Church in Quincy, Massachusetts in response to plans of the Portsmouth church
shown to him by the Quincy building committee.
Continued below
Photo 09a, Aug 2010