Fort Preble is a military fort in South Portland, Maine. It is
now on the campus of Southern Maine Community College.
Henry A. S. Dearborn built this second-system fortification as an
"embargo fort" in 1808 and named it in honor of Commodore Edward
Preble. Along with Fort Scammel, it was built to enforce the unpopular
trade embargo that President Thomas Jefferson enacted against Great
Britain by preventing Maine merchants from trading with the English.
In October 1808, Dearborn ordered a company of soldiers to occupy the
fort and instructed them to do whatever was necessary to enforce the
Embargo Act against embargo-breaking ships. The embargo was finally
lifted in March 1809.
Photo 93, Oct 2010