Barnes Foundation Art institute, Old Location
300 North Latch's Lane
Merion, PA 19066
The Barnes Foundation was established in 1922 by Dr. Albert C.
Barnes. Albert Barnes was born in a working class Philadelphia
neighborhood in 1872 and attended Central High School. As a youngster,
he attended camp revival meetings with his mother who was a devout
Methodist. It was at those religious retreats that Barnes developed an
appreciation for African American culture, spiritual revivals and
creative expression. This connection would resurface in later years
and have a lasting impact on the man and his work.
Nov 2003, Photo 169