Château Laurier Hotel
The Château Laurier Hotel is a landmark hotel with 429 guest
rooms in Downtown Ottawa, Ontario located near the intersection of
Rideau Street and Sussex Drive designed in the French Gothic
Châteauesque style to compliment the adjacent Parliament buildings.
Château Laurier was commissioned by Grand Trunk Railway president
Charles Melville Hays, and was constructed between 1909 and 1912 in
tandem with Ottawa's downtown Union Station (now the Government
Conference Centre) across the street. The hotel features original
Tiffany stained glass windows and hand-moulded plaster decorations
dating back to 1912.
The plans for the hotel initially generated some controversy as
the Château was to be constructed on what was then a portion of
Major's Hill Park. Sir Wilfrid Laurier, then the Prime Minister of
Canada, helped secure the important site for the construction, and the
hotel was eventually named in his honour. Laurier's government was
also subsidizing the Grand Trunk Railway's Pacific Line. Further
conflict ensued when the original architect, Bradford Gilbert, from
New York was dismissed due to disagreements with Grand Trunk
executives, and the Montreal firm of Ross and Macfarlane was hired to
complete the design.
Photo 49, May 2012