Lord Elgin Hotel
The Lord Elgin Hotel is a prominent hotel in downtown Ottawa,
Canada with 355 guest rooms, located at 100 Elgin Street at Laurier
Avenue, across from Confederation Park. The twelve-storey limestone
structure was named after James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, the first
Governor General of the united Canadas.
The hotel was designed by the prestigious firm of Ross and
Macdonald, which were the successors of Ross and MacFarlane, who
designed the Chateau Laurier. It was opened in 1941 by the Ford Hotel
Company to compete with the Château Laurier. Unlike the Château,
however, the Lord Elgin was built to primarily serve short-stay
guests, particularly those who were in Ottawa on government and
military business during the Second World War, especially after the
recent loss of the nearby Russell Hotel. As a result, the hotel did
not originally contain any ballrooms or elegant restaurants, as would
have been expected in a large hotel at that time, and the guest rooms
were relatively small.
Photo 967, Jun 2010