St. Andrews Church



Ottawa ON Building Photos     Thumbnails     Buildings Home

St. Andrews Church

It is Ottawa's oldest Protestant congregation, with the original church opening in 1828. The church was founded for, and built by, the Scottish and Irish labourers who were constructing the Rideau Canal for Montreal's John Redpath and their own Thomas MacKay. The location on Wellington Street was purchased for £200 and the church was built during lulls in the construction of the canal.

As Ottawa had no Anglican church at the time, St. Andrew's argued that it should be considered the established church in the city, as the representative of the Established Church of Scotland. The advantage of being so recognized, was the rights to clergy reserves. The authorities agreed to the request, and in 1837 the church was granted a large glebe to the south of the city. This area stretching from Bronson Avenue to the Rideau Canal later became the neighbourhood known as the Glebe. In 1844, a number of families left following the 1843 Disruption within the Church of Scotland, and formed Knox Free Church. Despite those losses, the original building still proved too small, an extension was completed in 1854, and the building was then replaced with the current structure in 1872.

Photo 1324, June 2010


St. Andrew's Church

Photo 1326, June 2010


St. Andrew's Church

It is Ottawa's oldest Protestant congregation, with the original church opening in 1828. The church was founded for, and built by, the Scottish and Irish labourers who were constructing the Rideau Canal for Montreal's John Redpath and their own Thomas MacKay. The location on Wellington Street was purchased for £200 and the church was built during lulls in the construction of the canal.

As Ottawa had no Anglican church at the time, St. Andrew's argued that it should be considered the established church in the city, as the representative of the Established Church of Scotland. The advantage of being so recognized, was the rights to clergy reserves. The authorities agreed to the request, and in 1837 the church was granted a large glebe to the south of the city. This area stretching from Bronson Avenue to the Rideau Canal later became the neighbourhood known as the Glebe. In 1844, a number of families left following the 1843 Disruption within the Church of Scotland, and formed Knox Free Church. Despite those losses, the original building still proved too small, an extension was completed in 1854, and the building was then replaced with the current structure in 1872.

Photo 40, May 2012


Other Photos

Aircraft
Animals
Boats

Bridges
Lighthouses
Monuments

Rail
Public Home