The Casino Building / Timken Center
The Casino, an example of Spanish Mission Revival architecture, was
built in 1912 and served as a refreshment stand and administrative
center for City Park. Although technically a “cantina” (a place where
refreshments are served), as the story goes, the strong local accent
transformed the word into “ca-sin-a” and eventually “casino”. The
upper floor of the Casino was converted into Parkview Terrace, a
popular event space. In 2000, after a renovation, the building was
renamed the Timken Center. In 2012, Morning Call opened in the ground
floor of the building, adjacent to the gift shop and public restrooms.
The ground floor of the building is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week.
Photo 98, Nov 2018