Trinity Church |
New York NY Building Photos
Thumbnails
Buildings Home
|
|
Trinity Church, at 74 Trinity Place in New York City, is a historic full
service parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is
located at the intersection of Broadway and Wall Street in downtown Manhattan.
George Washington was a member of its congregation for a while. Also
figured prominently in 9/11. Rescue personnel slept on its pews when they could
take a moment for sleep.
When the present Trinity Church was consecrated on Ascension Day May 1,
1846, its soaring Neo-Gothic spire, surmounted by a gilded cross, dominated the
skyline of lower Manhattan. Trinity was a welcoming beacon for ships sailing
into New York Harbor.
Though skyscrapers have risen all around it, Trinity Church still stands as
a significant statement of spiritual values in the heart of downtown Manhattan
and serves as a center for contemplation, worship, and Christian community.
There have been three Trinity Church buildings at Broadway and Wall Street.
The present Trinity Church, designed by Richard Upjohn and consecrated on
Ascension Day in 1846, is considered a classic example of Gothic Revival
architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church
Photo 206, Dec 2007
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church
Photo 207, Dec 2007
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church doors
Photo 209, Dec 2007
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church doors
Photo 210, Dec 2007
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church, rear side
Trinity Church at 79 Broadway, New York City, is a historic,
full-service parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
Trinity Church is located at the intersection of Wall Street and
Broadway in downtown Manhattan.
The third Trinity Church was finished in 1846 and at the time of
its completion its 281-foot spire and cross was the highest
point in New York until being surpassed in 1890 by the New York World
Building. This is the one that we see today.
In 1843, Trinity Church's expanding parish was divided due to the
burgeoning cityscape and to better serve the needs of its
parishioners. The newly formed parish would build Grace Church, to the
north on Broadway at 10th street, while original parish would re-build
the Trinity Church that stands today. Both Grace and Trinity Churches
were completed and consecrated in 1846.
The street is Trinity Place, which passes under the
Trinity Place Bridge. Completed in 1989, the bridge is a private elevated
walkway connecting the rear side of Trinity Church to its parish house
across Trinity Place.
Photo 340, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church
Photo 329, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
All Saints' Chapel (part of Trinity church) was built as a
memorial to The Rev. Dr. Morgan Dix, Rector of Trinity Church from
1862-1908. It is an addition to Trinity Church designed by Thomas Nash
and built from 1911-13. The chapel is used primarily for prayer and an
occasional private service.
Photo 471, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
All-Saints Chapel, Tomb of Johm Dupuy, died 1879
Photo 470
|
|
|
|
Trinity church, interior
Photo 474, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
Trinity church interior
Photo 479, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church, interior
Photo 480, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
Trinity church, interior
Photo 484, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
The Trinity Root, at Trinity Church
The 'Trinity Root', an artist's memorial sculpture of the tree that
shielded St. Paul's Chapel from harm on September 11, 2001
On September Eleventh 2001, Trinity Church might have been erased
by falling wreckage of the collapsing World Trade Center, but an old
sycamore tree in the churchyard cemetery caught and deflected the
metal projectiles ---saving the building but losing its own life. The
crushed tree was sawed-up and removed, but the stump was saved at a
temporary memorial to the 9-11-01 events and also in remembrance of
the providential rescue of the church. Later Artist Steve Tobin
obtained the tree's root-pack and made a life-sized cast of them in
bronze. The freeform roots shape was purposefully up-ended and then
painted orange. The sculpture, titled (The) Trinity Root, serves the
same purpose as the preserved stump ---though in a more permanent
manner. The lost sycamore was replaced by a tall pine named the Tree
of Hope.
Photo 503, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|
Trinity Church Steeple
Photo 504, Oct 2010
|
|
|
|