Karlstor City Gate
The Karlstor was originally known as the Neuhauser Tor but was
renamed in 1797 after Karl Theodor. The Elector created a new square
near the Karlstor, officially known as Karlsplatz but still often
referred to as Stachus. The gate was integrated into the plans for the
new square by adding wings to each side of the gate, creating a
semi-circular square.
The Karlstor originally had three towers, but the tallest, central
tower was destroyed in 1857 when the gunpowder that was stored in the
tower exploded. The two side towers were renovated in 1861 after a
neo-gothic design by the Italian architect Domenico Zanetti.
Photo 128, 1985