Old Justizpalast (Palace of Justice)
The palatial (old) Palace of Justice was constructed in 1890–97
by the architect Friedrich von Thiersch in neo-baroque style at the
west side of the Karlsplatz (Stachus). The building of the Gründerzeit
is dominated by a central glass dome (67 meters). The building is 138
meters long and 80 meters deep. The center of the building, which was
designed around two courtyards, is the central hall measuring 19 m x
29 m.
The four façades of the freestanding building are of varying
proportions, but they have similarities with the granite base as a
substructure and the colossal arrangement of pilasters or columns on
the central structure and the corners. The three upper floors are
surrounded by window frames and gables, the second floor being
emphasized the most. On the northern façade, the east and west wings
are projected as a corner avant-corps and the central section. Six
columns with Corinthian capitals here form the upper floor. The
longitudinal fronts and corner protrusions of the southern façade are
similar to those of the northern façade, but the middle avant-corps is
less prominent and is divided by pilasters. On the ground floor there
is an open porch, which once served as an underpass for carriages. On
the first floor, the front porch serves as a balcony. The three
central axes of the avant-corps are crowned by a gable with the
Bavarian coat of arms. On the pediment stands the statue of Justitia,
flanked by Innocence and Vice. The east facade is strongly marked by
the central avant-corps with a convex front and obelisks at all four
corner points.
Photo 129, 1973