Church of Gesu, 2010
Originally Collège Sainte-Marie de Montréal, now a portion
remains as the Église du Gesù (Church of Gesu, named after
the church where St. Ignatius of Loyola is buried), which was
originally the college chapel. Built in 1865 and designed by
Irish architect Patrick Keely, it is one of the oldest religious
buildings in Montréal. Also housed in the structure is the Salles
du Gesù, Montréal's oldest theatre.
Collège Sainte-Marie was a college in Montreal,
Quebec, Canada. It ceased to exist in 1969, when it was
merged into UQAM (Université du Québec à Montréal).
Collège Ste-Marie was founded by Jesuits in 1848. It
had an English sector (which called the school St. Mary's
College) that later became separate in 1896 as Loyola
College. Ste-Marie was never a degree issuing institution,
instead, relying on its affiliation with chartered
universities to grant degrees. Despite this, it had full
curriculum control. Ste-Marie was originally affiliated with
Université Laval until 1920, when it was affiliated with
Université de Montréal. The college originally offered
primary and secondary (elementary and high school level)
education as well as collegial studies.