The Church of St Mary-le-Strand
St. Mary le Strand is a Church of England church at the eastern
end of the Strand in the City of Westminster, London. It lies within
the Deanery of Westminster (St Margaret) within the Diocese of London.
The church stands on what is now a traffic island to the north of
Somerset House, King's College London's Strand campus building and The
Temple, and south of Bush House. It is the official church of the
Women's Royal Naval Service, and has a book of remembrance for members
who have died in service.
The architecture of St. Mary le Strand proved controversial from
the outset and the architect later expressed unhappiness at the way
that his plans had been altered by the Commissioners. According to
Gibbs, the church was originally intended to be an Italianate
structure with a small campanile over the west end and no steeple.
Instead of the latter, a column 250 feet high surmounted with a
statue of Queen Anne was to have been erected a short distance to the
west of the church. A great quantity of stone was purchased and
brought to the spot, but the plan was abandoned on the death of the
queen in 1714. Instead, the architect was ordered to reuse the stone
to build a steeple, which fundamentally altered the plan of the
church.
Photo 97, May 2011