St. Margaret's Church, Westminster
The Anglican church of St. Margaret, Westminster Abbey
is situated in the grounds of Westminster Abbey on
Parliament Square, and is the parish church of the House
of Commons of the United Kingdom in London. It is dedicated
to Margaret of Antioch.
Originally founded in the twelfth century by
Benedictine monks, so that local people who lived in the
area around the Abbey could worship separately at their
own simpler parish church, and historically part of the
hundred of Ossulstone in the county of Middlesex,[4] St
Margaret's was rebuilt from 1486 to 1523. It became the
parish church of the Palace of Westminster in 1614, when the
Puritans of the seventeenth century, unhappy with the highly
liturgical Abbey, chose to hold Parliamentary services in
the more "suitable" St Margaret's: a practice that has
continued since that time.
The north-west tower was rebuilt by John James from
1734 to 1738; at the same time, the whole structure was
encased in Portland stone. Both the eastern and the western
porch were added later by J. L. Pearson. The church's
interior was greatly restored and altered to its current
appearance by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1877, although
many of the Tudor features were retained.