The Vleeshal
The Vleeshal is a historical building dating from 1603 on the
Grote Markt in Haarlem, the Netherlands.
Vleeshal means meat-hall; it was the only place in Haarlem where
fresh meat was allowed to be sold from 1604 to the 18th century. The
ox-heads on the front of the building indicate the function of the
hall. The building was used for selling fresh meat, salted meat was
sold in the Warmoesstraat, the street next to the building.
It was designed in renaissance style by Lieven de Key. It was
built from 1602 to 1603. Before that there was already a small
Vleeshal on the crossing of the Spekstraat and the Warmoesstraat, but
around 1600 it had become too small, and the meat had to be sold
outside. The new building was a prestigious project; expensive
materials and a beautiful design were used. It opened on November 1,
1604. There was room for 40 different meat merchants in the building.
The building has been in use as meat-hall until 1840. Afterwards
it was used by the National Archive (Rijksarchief) and the Haarlem
public library.
Photo 305, Sep 2016