Augsburg Cathedral
Construction on the present Romanesque cathedral began under Bishop Henry
IIin 1043 and was completed under his successor in 1065. This building still
forms the core of the cathedral, although much of it was given a Gothic makeover
from 1331 to 1431. The east choir is a fully Gothic addition of 1356-1431.
Iconoclasts seized and destroyed most of the cathedral's religious art
during the Protestant Reformation (1537-48), some of which was restored later.
The north tower was heightened in 1565.
The interior was given the Baroque treatment in 1655-58, then reversed in
in 1852-63 to restore it to a romanticized vision of its medieval appearance.
More medieval artworks were brought in to complete the effect. The Neo-Gothic
elements were removed in 1934.
Augsburg Cathedral was fairly lucky in World War II; only the Lady Chapel
and cloister were damaged. Extensive restorations of the interior were
undertaken in 1983-84.
Photo 21, 1985