Minaret, from Castle
The most northern minaret in Europe from the time of the
Turkish occupation, the minaret is built out of carved
sandstone. The djami on its east side was dismantled in 1841
in the course of the city replanning.
With a 14-sided ground plan this tower is 40 metres high.
Inside its tall trunk 97 winding steps lead up to the iron
balustraded circular terrace. The stone cone on the very top
of the minaret is ornamented with a crescent moon and a
cross. Since 1997, some 350 years after the legendary
battle, the sound of the muezzin calling is once again heard
in a summer event series.
Of the three minarets remaining in Hungary (Pécs, Érd,
Eger), this is the tallest and the best preserved one.
Photo 1835, Sept 2008