Megyeháza (Eger)
The General Assembly of Heves County decided in December 1747
that the county should build a permanent headquarters because official
matters were handled by officials on their homes, official documents
were kept in various places, and the gatherings were held in the
bishop's palace. To this, Bishop Barkóczy's bishop bought the Black
Sas host site and built this U-shaped office building on this plot,
which was designed by architect Gerl Mátyás, a Viennese architect.
The building in his courtyard (designed by Ignác Gerl) was a county
jail from 1769 until the beginning of the 20th century, and then the
offices of the county archives were occupied. Inside the chapel, built
in the middle of the prison building, openings were made to allow
every prisoner to "participate" in the masses. The upper floor was
built in 1838-39 to the former building for evangelical prisoners - a
special chapel was created for them. In 1832, a silk-screening
facility was built in the vicinity for the employment of prisoners.
Photo 1812s, Sept 2008