Cistercian Church, Eger, from Castle
The Cistercian Church stands in the intersection of Széchenyi
Street and Bródy Sándor Street. In olden times there was a Moslem mosque in
the place of the church. The land was then given to the Jesuits, who
started the construction of their monastery and church in 1699. The
monastery was completed by 1727, and the masses were celebrated in the
church from 1773 on but the building was finished a long time later only.
The Jesuit order was dissolved in 1773 and the church was taken over by the
Cistercians.
Photo 1829, Sept 2008