Scottish National War Memorial



Edinburgh Buildings     Thumbnails     Buildings Home

Scottish National War Memorial in the Castle

Above the door is encribed: To the glory of God & in memory of Scots who fell    1914    1918

The medieval St. Mary's Church which stood on this site was rebuilt in 1366, and was converted into an armoury in 1540. It was demolished in 1755, and the masonry reused to build a new North Barrack Block on the site. Proposals for a Scottish National War Memorial were put forward in 1917, during the First World War, by John Stewart-Murray, 8th Duke of Atholl, and Edinburgh Castle was the obvious choice of site. The architect Sir Robert Lorimer was appointed in 1919, but opposition arose from the Cockburn Association and others concerned with the castle's heritage. A modest scheme to remodel the North Barrack Block was finally agreed in 1923, and the memorial was formally opened on 14 July 1927 by the Prince of Wales.[128] The exterior is decorated with gargoyles and sculpture, while the interior contains monuments to the individual regiments. The stained-glass windows are by Douglas Strachan.

Photo 1161


Scottish National War Memorial, back and side

Photo 1147


Scottish National War Memorial, in front

Photo 1162


Scottish National War Memorial, in front

Photo 1163


Scottish National War Memorial, gargoyle

Photo 1164


RAF wreath

Photo 1166


Scottish National War Memorial, back

Photo 1148


Scottish National War Memorial, side

Photo 1143


Other Photos

Aircraft
Animals
Boats

Bridges
Lighthouses
Monuments

Rail
Public Home