St. Giles' Cathedral
St Giles' Cathedral, also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, is
the principal place of worship of the Church of Scotland in Edinburgh.
Its distinctive crown steeple is a prominent feature of the city
skyline, at the mid point of the Royal Mile. The church has been one
of Edinburgh's religious focal points for approximately 900 years. The
present church dates from the late 14th century, though it was
extensively restored in the 19th century. The cathedral is dedicated to
Saint Giles, who is the patron saint of Edinburgh, as well as of
cripples and lepers, and was a very popular saint in the Middle Ages.
It is the Church of Scotland parish church for part of Edinburgh's Old
Town.
St Giles' was only a cathedral in its formal sense (i.e. the seat
of a bishop) for two periods during the 17th century (1635–1638 and
1661–1689), when episcopalianism, backed by the Crown, briefly gained
ascendancy within the Kirk. In the mediaeval
period, prior to the Reformation, Edinburgh had no cathedral as the
royal burgh was part of the Diocese of St Andrews, under the Bishop of
St Andrews whose episcopal seat was St Andrew's Cathedral. For most of
its post-Reformation history the Church of Scotland has not had
bishops, dioceses, or cathedrals. As such, the use of the term
cathedral today carries no practical meaning. The "high kirk" title is
older, being attested well before the building's brief stint as a
cathedral.
The oldest parts of the building are four massive central pillars,
often said to date from 1124, although there is very little evidence
to this effect. In 1385 the building suffered a fire and was rebuilt
in the subsequent years. Much of the current interior dates from this
period. Over the years many chapels, referred to as 'aisles', were
added, greatly enlarging the church and leaving it rather irregular in
plan. In 1466 St Giles was established as a collegiate church. In
response to this raising of status, the lantern tower was added around
1490, and the chancel ceiling raised, vaulted and a clear storey
installed. By the middle of the 16th century (before the Reformation)
there were about fifty altars in the church.
Photo 1187, May 2011