The Hub
The Hub, at the top of Edinburgh's Royal Mile, is the home of the
Edinburgh International Festival, and a central source of information
on all the Edinburgh Festivals. Its gothic spire - the highest point
in central Edinburgh - towers over the surrounding buildings,
including the adjacent castle. The building was designed in
collaboration by Edinburgh architect J Gillespie Graham, and the
famous gothic revivalist Augustus Pugin, and constructed between 1842
and 1845.
What is now "The Hub" was built for the Church of Scotland both
as a parish church and as a purpose-built General Assembly Hall. It
was originally known as the Victoria Hall. The General Assembly of the
Church of Scotland last met here in 1929, when the Church of Scotland
united with the United Free Church of Scotland, thereafter using the
former United Free Church's Assembly Hall on The Mound.
Photo 1188, May 2011