Edinburgh Castle |
Edinburgh Buildings
Thumbnails
Buildings Home
|
|
Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle is a fortress which dominates the skyline of the
city of Edinburgh, Scotland, from its position atop the volcanic
Castle Rock. Human habitation of the site is dated back as far as the
9th century BC, although the nature of early settlement is unclear.
There has been a royal castle here since at least the reign of David I
in the 12th century, and the site continued to be a royal residence
until the Union of the Crowns in 1603. As one of the most important
fortresses in the Kingdom of Scotland, Edinburgh Castle has been
involved in many historical conflicts, from the Wars of Scottish
Independence in the 14th century, up to the Jacobite Rising of 1745,
and has been besieged, both successfully and unsuccessfully, on
several occasions. From the later 17th century the castle became a
military base with a large garrison. Its importance as a historic
monument was recognised from the 19th century, and various restoration
programmes have been carried out since.
Few of the present buildings pre-date the Lang Siege of the 16th
century, when the medieval fortifications were largely destroyed by
artillery bombardment. The notable exception is St Margaret's Chapel,
the oldest surviving building in Edinburgh, which dates from the early
12th century. Among other significant buildings of the castle are the
Royal Palace, and the early-16th-century Great Hall. The castle also
houses the Scottish National War Memorial, and the National War Museum
of Scotland.
Photo 1098, May 2011
|
|
|
|
The Half Moon Battery, which remains a prominent feature on the
east side of the castle, was built as part of the reconstruction works
supervised by the Regent Morton, and was erected between 1573 and
1588. The Forewall to the north was built between 1689 and 1695 to
link the Half Moon to the Portcullis Tower, although part of the
original wall of 1540 was incorporated into it. The Half Moon
Battery was built around and over the ruins of David's Tower, two
storeys of which survive beneath, with windows facing out onto the
interior wall of the battery. David's Tower was built on an L-plan,
the main block being 51 by 38 ft, with a wing
measuring 21 by 18 ft to the west. The
entrance was via a pointed-arched doorway in the inner angle, although
in the 16th century this was filled in to make the tower a solid
rectangle. Prior to the Lang Siege, the tower was recorded as being 59 ft
high, and the remaining portions stand up to 49 ft from the rock.
Photo 1123
|
|
|
|
The Half Moon Battery
Photo 1127
|
|
|
|
One O'clock Gun is a time signal, and is fired every day at
precisely 13:00, excepting Sunday, Good Friday and Christmas Day. The
gun was established in 1861 as a time signal for ships in the Firth of
Forth, and complemented the time ball, which was installed on the
Nelson Monument in 1852, but which was useless during foggy weather.
The gun could easily be heard by ships in Leith Harbour, 2 miles
away. Because sound travels relatively slowly (770 mph),
maps were produced in the 1860s to show
the actual time when the sound of the gun was heard at various
locations in Edinburgh.
The original gun was an 18-pound muzzle-loading cannon, which needed
four men to load, and was fired from the Half Moon Battery. This was
replaced in 1913 by a 32-pound breech-loader, and in May 1952 by a
25-pound Howitzer. The present One O'Clock Gun is an L118 Light
Gun, brought into service on 30 November 2001.
Photo 1135
|
|
|
|
Top part of Castle
Photo 1139
|
|
|
|
Part of Castle
Photo 1140
|
|
|
|
Governor's House 1742. Built as the official residence of the
Castle Governor with houses in the wings for the Master Gunner and the
Storekeeper
Photo 1142
|
|
|
|
Foog's Gate
The Upper Ward occupies the highest part of the Castle Rock, and
is entered from the Middle Ward via the late 17th-century Foog's
Gate. The origin of this name is unknown, although it was formerly
known as the Foggy Gate, which may relate to the dense sea-fog, known
as haar, which commonly affects Edinburgh.
Photo 1144
|
|
|
|
Part of castle
Photo 1151
|
|
|
|
Mons Meg
The 15th-century siege cannon known as Mons Meg is on display
outside St. Margaret's Chapel. Mons Meg was constructed in Flanders on
the orders of Philip III, Duke of Burgundy in 1449, and was given by
him to his niece's husband, King James II in 1457. The 6-tonne
(bombard is displayed alongside some of its 330 lb gun stones.
On 3 July 1558, Mons Meg was fired in salute to
the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots, to the French dauphin François
II. Workmen were paid to find and retrieve the shot from Wardie Mure, near
the River Forth, some 2 miles distant. Mons Meg has been
defunct since her barrel burst on 30 October 1681 when firing a salute
for the arrival of the Duke of Albany, the future King James VII and
II.
Photo 1152
|
|
|
|
Cannon of the Forewall Battery, 1544
Photo 1158
|
|
|
|