General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland
The Assembly Hall is located between the Lawnmarket and The Mound
in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is the meeting place of the General
Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
Following the Disruption in the Church of Scotland in 1843, the
emergent Free Church of Scotland urgently required a new theological
college (New College) in Edinburgh, an Assembly Hall and a home for
the Free High Church (the member of St Giles' Cathedral who left at
the Disruption). A complex of buildings was thus designed by William
Henry Playfair and built from 1846 onwards. The Assembly Hall itself
was designed by David Bryce and built in 1858-9. The back of the Hall
facing Castlehill was extended east by J. M. Dick Peddie in 1885, with
further work in 1902-3. In 1934 the Free High Church vacated its
building, which was adapted to become the New College Library.
In 1900, the United Presbyterian Church and a majority of the
Free Church of Scotland united as the United Free Church of Scotland;
the Assembly Hall was henceforth used by the newly united church. The
United Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland united in
1929. The Assembly Hall thus became the Assembly Hall of the reunited
Church of Scotland. Overlooking the Moderator's chair, the centre of
the south gallery was adapted to become the "Throne Gallery" for the
Lord High Commissioner. Prior to 1929, the General Assemblies of the
(old) Church of Scotland were held in St John's Highland Tolbooth
Church (now 'The Hub'), the spire of which continues to overshadow the
Assembly Hall and New College.
Photo 913, May 2011