Downtown St. Michael Church
Belvárosi Szent Mihály Templom, Váci utca
Founded by the Dominican Order, the history of this single-naved
church dates back to the 1700s. The Dominicans were followed by the
Paulines and the Mary Ward Nuns, who opened and ran a girls school in the
adjacent building until 1950.
The high altar, the inlaid pews and the furniture in the sacristy
all date from the 1760s and are the work of Dominican friars. The high
altar picture depicts St. Dominic with the Virgin Mary who is passing him a
rosary.
Photo 1896, Sept 2008