Tremont Temple



Boston MA Building Photos     Thumbnails     Buildings Home

Tremont Temple

On 28 December 1843, the Free Church Baptists bought the Tremont Theatre and renamed it the Tremont Temple. Although the building was largely used for religious events, it also served as the venue for public events on occasion. Sam Houston gave a speech there against slavery on 22 February 1855. A fire in April 1852 demolished the building.

The temple suffered subsequent fires in 1879 and 1893. Called Tremont Street Baptist Church and later Union Temple Baptist Church, the name Tremont Temple Baptist Church was adopted in 1891.

The existing structure opened in May 1896. Designed by architect Clarence Blackall, it was intended to be a church with an auditorium suitable for business purposes. The building originally had stores on the ground floor and commercial offices on the upper floors. Revenue from business rents and rental of the auditorium for concerts enabled the church to continue to provide free seats to all worshipers. The auditorium was used in 1985 for a staged production of the opera "The Burning Fiery Furnace" by Benjamin Britten.

Photo 206, March 2012


Other Photos

Aircraft
Animals
Boats

Bridges
Buildings
Lighthouses

Monuments
Rail
Public Home