Cathedral Church of St. Paul
The Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Boston is the historic
cathedral church of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.
Located at 138 Tremont Street near Downtown Crossing,
directly across from Boston Common and Park Street Station,
the cathedral is adjacent to the diocesan offices.
St. Paul's was founded in 1819 when there were two other
Episcopal parishes in Boston, Christ Church (better known as
Old North Church), and Trinity Church. Both had been founded
before the American Revolution as part of the Church of
England. The founders of St. Paul's wanted a totally
American parish in Boston.
Unusually, at that time, for a
church building, St. Paul's was built in Greek Revival
style. Its architects were Alexander Parris, best known for
Quincy Market, and Solomon Willard, best known for the
Bunker Hill Monument. Its granite exterior and sandstone
temple front have changed little since its construction.
In 1912, after its neighborhood had become mainly
non-residential, the diocese named St. Paul's as its
cathedral. At this point its chancel was remodeled with a
coffered and gilded half-dome, elaborately carved wood
reredos, a chancel organ and choir benches.