St. Clement's Eucharistic Shrine
1105 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02215
In 1922 and 1923, the Second Universalist Society of
Boston purchased land at Boylston and Ipswich Streets in
that city and built a church for its congregation, which had
been founded in 1817 with Hosea Ballou as its minister.
Records of the Second Universalist Society attribute the
"Church of the Redemption" to the architect Arthur F.
Gray.
When the congregation merged with the Arlington Street
Church in 1935, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston
purchased the building from the Massachusetts Universalist
Convention in order to make it an auxiliary chapel for the
nearby Saint Cecilia Parish.
In 1945, Archbishop Cushing decided to separate it from
Saint Cecilia Parish and designate it as a shrine for the
adoration of the Eucharist, entrusting it to the Franciscan
Missionaries of Mary.
In the late 1960s, the Shrine was designated as a
center for ministry to students. Since 1976, the Shrine has
been in the care of the religious order the Oblates of the
Virgin Mary, and the home of their house of formation "Our
Lady of Grace Seminary".
Photo 271, March 2012