Old West Church
The Old West Church at 131 Cambridge Street, is a historic church located
in the West End of Boston, built in 1806 to designs by architect Asher Benjamin.
It was here that the phrase "no taxation without representation" was first
coined.
The first church on this site was built in 1737 as a wood frame building,
and was occupied as a barracks by British troops during their occupation of the
city prior to the American Revolution. The British razed this church in 1775
when they suspected that American Colonials were signaling to Cambridge from its
steeple.
Today's Old West Church is thus the second church on the site. As in the
architect's earlier Charles Street Meeting House (1804), its three-and-a-half
story brick entry tower is crowned with a cupola; the whole tower projects
outward somewhat from the church hall behind. Four shallow brick pilasters, each
two stories high and trimmed with white wood, separate the three entry doors.
Each door is echoed with window above it. The tower's third story is outfitted
with pairs of Doric pilasters. On the final half-story beneath the cupola are
clocks on each face of the tower, each adorned with a light swag. On the back
wall, the original central pulpit window has been filled in with brickwork.
Old West's preaching played a major role in American history. Jonathan
Mayhew, the church's second Congregational pastor, coined the phrase, "no
taxation without representation" in a sermon in Old West. His preaching was
theologically radical as well, and is held by some Unitarians to have predated
William Ellery Channing in his exposition of anti-trinitarian views. By the
early 1800s, the resultant Unitarianism had converted 9 of Boston’s original 13
orthodox Congregational churches.
The church was originally and for many years Congregational, briefly a
branch of the Boston Public Library (1894–1896), and has been owned by the
Methodist Church since 1964.