Former Museum of Natural History



Boston MA Building Photos     Thumbnails     Buildings Home

Former Museum of Natural History

This historic building on Berkeley Street is one of the oldest buildings in the Back Bay neighborhood. It was constructed in 1863 on a block that was set aside for the Museum of Natural History and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Eventually, two MIT buildings would be built in this block between Berkeley and Clarendon Streets, the first of which was the 1866 Rogers Building.

MIT remained here until 1916, when they relocated to their much larger campus across the Charles River in Cambridge. The Rogers Building, along with the neighboring Walker Memorial Building, were demolished in 1939 to build the New England Mutual Life Insurance Building, which is still standing. The museum was located in this building until 1951, when it was renamed the Boston Museum of Science and moved to its present location on the Charles River. After the museum left, it has been used by several different companies as a retail store, including Bonwit Teller and Louis Boston. In 2013, the home furnishing company Restoration Hardware opened their Boston gallery in the building, which still remains well-preserved and relatively unchanged after over 150 years and a number of ownership changes.

Photo NatHist, July 2001


Other Photos

Aircraft
Animals
Boats

Bridges
Buildings
Lighthouses

Monuments
Rail
Public Home