Willet House Museum
Museum Willet-Holthuysen
A museum in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, on the Herengracht canal.
It is the only fully furnished canalside patrician house in Amsterdam
that is open to the public. The museum has a large collection of
silverware, plates, and books from the Dutch Golden Age. It also has a
substantial collection of art.
The house was built for Jacob Hop, mayor of Amsterdam, around
1685. He was not the last mayor to own the house. In 1739 the outside
was redesigned to look as it does today, in the highly fashionable
Louis XIV style. The last private owner, Mrs. Willet-Holthuysen,
bequeathed the entire house to the city of Amsterdam on condition that
it became a museum in 1895. The curator named in that year was Frans
Coenen Jr., a writer, composer, and art critic. It has been a
museum ever since.
Three floors are open to the public, the souterrain, with the
kitchen and garden (restored in 1972), the first floor (bel-etage with
long hallway), and the top floor, with one bedroom on display and
rooms for exhibitions. In the blue room, several paintings on the
walls show previous owners (by unspecified artists). In this room
there are also several decorative paintings by Jacob de Wit, though
these have been sourced from other buildings in Amsterdam. Decorative
pieces by Jacob de Wit were at some stage in the house, but previous
owners took them with them. It is not clear if some of the current
Jacob de Wit paintings are 'back home'. Flower paintings are on
display by various Amsterdam painters, such as Adriana Johanna Haanen.
Photo 475