Arlington Memorial Bridge
The Arlington Memorial Bridge in Washington, D.C. crosses the Potomac
River, connecting the Lincoln Memorial and Columbia Island. The northeastern end
of the bridge marks the western edge of the National Mall. The southwestern end
connects with Memorial Avenue, which crosses the Boundary Channel Bridge into
Virginia and travels to Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County.
On April 4, 1980, the Arlington Memorial Bridge was added to the National
Register of Historic Places.
Construction of the Arlington Memorial Bridge was authorized by Congress on
February 24, 1925, and it opened on January 16, 1932. The dedication ceremony
was headed by President Herbert Hoover. Designed by architectural firm McKim,
Mead, and White, the neoclassical bridge is 2,163 feet long.
Although the Arlington Memorial Bridge was part of the 1901 McMillan
Commission's plan for restoring Pierre (Peter) Charles L'Enfant's original plan
for the capital, two decades passed before construction was initiated.
President Warren G. Harding was caught in a three-hour traffic jam while on his
way to dedicate the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery,
because the previous wooden bridge could not handle the traffic. The ensuing
turmoil led to appropriation for the bridge construction.