Amelia Earhart Dam is on the Malden and Mystic Rivers in
Middlesex County, Massachusetts and is used for improved
navigation, flood control and recreation purposes.
Construction was completed in 1965.
Amelia Earhart Dam is of earthen construction, a gravity
dam. Its length is 950 feet. Its capacity is 6645 acre feet.
Normal storage is 4520 acre feet.
Extensive salt marshes lined the banks of the Mystic until
1909, when the first dam (Craddock Locks) was built across
the river, converting salt marsh to freshwater marsh and
enabling development. Today's dam, named for Amelia Earhart,
was built in 1966. It has three locks to allow the passage
of boats, and is equipped with pumps to push fresh water out
to the harbor even during high tide. Dam operators leave the
locks open at times to allow the passage of fish.