Craigie Drawbridge, Old Charles River Locks
Closeup of Craigie Drawbridge (in green and black)
The Craigie Dam and Craigie Drawbridge carry McGrath O’Brien
Highway (Route 28) between Land Blvd. in Cambridge and Leverett
Circle in Boston. New in 2011, the drawbridge replaced
The old bridge which was constructed in 1910, along with
the dam that turned the lower Charles River from a
tidal estuary into a fresh-water basin.
A new dam and set of locks were built in 1978 downstream
from the old locks and dam, replacing those built in 1910.
The Museum of Science sits on the old dam.
Behind and above the drawbridge is a viaduct for the Green Line
light rail cars, considered part of the Craigie Bridge
Photo 50, May 2012